The Road Goes On Forever…But the Party Does End

Friday, September 26 through Wednesday, October 1

I knew I wasn’t going to have time to craft much, if at all, this past weekend, but I thought I’d be back on track by Monday.  I wasn’t.  Here’s a quick & dirty of how the last few days have played out, along with my plans to put the train back on the rails.

My sister arrived!  Woo hoo!  Jerri and I met her at the Lewisville Western Days Festival.  We were able to catch most of Corey Morrow’s set, including the part where his little boy (about 3 years old, I’d guess) sang the ABC song.  Adorable!!  The great Robert Earl Keen came on at 10:00 and we were front & center.  What a great show!  It was my first for REK, but my sister has seen him about as many times as I’ve seen Barenaked Ladies (14).  I need to load up my iPod with more REK songs.  I think “Christmas with the Family” is the only one I have!



My sister’s best friend arrived!  Woo hoo!  Toni & Shirley have been friends since 5th grade (which was about 5 1/2 dog years ago), and she’s a hoot to be around.  We got snubbed at Mimi’s Cafe for breakfast, so we left and went to McDonald’s for a quick bite instead.  Then we used our discounts and rewards to buy some goodies at Kohl’s.  It was a very nice Saturday morning with two people I don’t get to see often enough.  Then they ditched me to check into their hotel and get ready for the reunion.  In all fairness to them, they did invite me to join them, but I had other plans.  I was gonna win a truck!  I went with Donna and her husband to Sulphur Springs, and we entered our names into a drawing to win a new Dodge Ram.  We weren’t the only ones there though, and we did not win. 😦  We consoled ourselves with fish and shrimp at The Fish Place in Pecan Gap, and then we went to a birthday party.  It was a WONDERFUL DAY!  One of the best I’ve had this year.  I felt connected to a community again in a way I haven’t since January.

My sister came back!  Woo hoo!  We had a late breakfast of burgers and then drove up to Choctaw Casino in Durant, OK.  I was losing…slowly, but still losing…and Shirley was maintaining.  We took a break for a grilled cheese sandwich, and then she played virtual Craps while I played a Hee Haw slot machine.  I was winning a little, so I stayed on that machine…until I lost everything I’d brought to lose.  Shirley had made a suggestion that we split any winnings, which was easy for me to agree to since I was down, so by the time we left I wasn’t completely broke.  I had $46 from Shirley.

When we got back to my house, we weren’t ready to give up on the day, so we went to see “This Is Where I Leave You” at Studio Movie Grill.  Shirley read the book, and she said it was a good adaptation.  I want to read the book now; she said it goes deeper into a few of the story lines and the characters are more evolved.  She was a little bummed that the flaming birthday cake scene from the book wasn’t a part of the movie.  Now that I know who played the character of Wade, I’m pretty sad they didn’t include it too.  More of him in some stage of undress would’ve been nice.

My sister left!  Boo hoo!  We had breakfast together, and then she headed to the airport and I went into work.  I’d been feeling kinda blah all morning and thought maybe food would help.  It most definitely did not.  I had to leave work about 1pm because I was very uncomfortable.  I got home, took various OTC meds to see if any would help, and I fell asleep.  I woke up about 6:00, drank some water, took some more ibuprofen, and I went back to sleep.

I still felt like crap, so I stayed home from work.  Luckily, I remembered I had a test that was due, so I finished reading the chapter and completed the quiz in the few hours that I was awake.  But, there was no way I was going to get any crafting done, and I went to bed about 10:30.

One highlight of the day: Apple sent an iOS fix, so I can now use the iPad to post pics here and elsewhere.

Welcome to October, my favorite month!

I feel a LOT better today.  So, I guess I can quit wondering if I have Ebola.  (Not that I was really worried, but it was freaky to wake up to the news today that there was an Ebola diagnosis in Dallas!)

I have a paper to write for school that’s due tomorrow, but I’m going to try to do some crafting tonight.  I’d like to get that blasted Christmas ornament finished.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s